This Post may contain Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure for legal jargon.
Ever thought what new can you make for breakfast so that the entire family likes it? Yes, it’s the waffles. Kids to elders everybody loves to eat waffles. I love waffles dipped in Nutella with some vanilla ice cream on top. I am sure you would have the crazy waffle recipe that you enjoy eating. It is super-easy to cook and can be cooked within minutes.
Waffle makers are amazing kitchen appliances. You can make waffles anytime if you have a waffle maker at home. But this super easy to cook recipe often leaves the appliance messy to clean later.
Cleaning waffle maker needs to be done very carefully as you would not like to burn your hands while doing it. Here are some cool tips that will not only make your waffle appliance shine like its new but will also let you clean it like a pro.
Stop and read the manual
We all have different kinds of waffle makers and the first thing you need to do is follow the manual as to how to clean it. I have a non-stick waffle maker with non-removable plates. If you have the same kind, let’s do it together.
How to Clean the Plates like a Pro:
1. Before cleaning the waffle maker, make sure you have switched off the plug and have allowed it to cool. Do not be lazy and keep the cleaning for later. This might create difficulty as the batter will stick to the surface of the machine. Start cleaning it immediately after it gets cooled down.
2. Now that your waffle plates have cooled down, dry clean the grids using a damp cloth or a tissue paper to remove the excess oil on the surface.
3. Once the oil is wiped off, use a soft-bristled brush and clean the bread crumbs that are stuck on the plates. Rub gently as you do not want to rip off its beauty.
4. Now dip a cloth in lukewarm water and rub the outside area of the machine. By now your machine should look somewhat decent.
I know it’s frustrating but trust me, we are almost there. Do not give up yet.
5. Time to soap washes the plates. Use the soapy rag to wipe the inside area of the iron. This will remove the greasiness of the plates.
6. Now using a rubber spatula removes any bread crumbs that are left on the surface or you should use a sponge to remove the wet batter.
7. If there is burnt food or stubborn oil remaining on the surface, make a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and let it sit on the affected area for a few hours. The chemical will pull off the burnt food and the oil from the surface which you can later wipe it off with a wet rag.
Use a toothpick to deeply clean the cracks within the machine. Finally, dry it up by cleaning it with a dry tissue. And you are done. Phew!
Ohh wait the plates are too greasy? I have a solution for people struggling with greasy removable plates too.
1. First and foremost, let the waffle maker cool down and unplug the socket from the switch.
2. Now remove the plates carefully by following the manufacturer’s instruction guide. Don’t worry, it will not be that difficult.
3. Now soak the plates in warm soapy water for a while. This will remove the excess oil and greasiness stuck on the plates.
4. Now clean the plates with a sponge or brush gently if you are working on a non-stick surface. Use toothpick or brush to reach minute areas for cleaning.
5. Wash it with warm water and wait till it’s dry. Clean it with a dry cloth before reusing it again, so that rusts don’t build up.
6. Now clean the outside of the iron with a wet cloth and be careful on the electrical part of the iron as you do not want to get an electric shock. Make doubly sure that you do not switch on the plug while cleaning and yes, you are done.
1. Never clean a waffle maker if it is still hot. Patience is the key. Let it cool down completely.
2. Read the manual again and again to get a clear idea of cleaning the waffle maker or visit their website or watch videos on youtube to get a clear vision of how it needs to be cleaned.
3. Do not use oil sprays as it will be built up and later will become difficult to clean. It is better to use cooking oil while making the bread.
4. Never immerse the electric waffle maker into water. Instead, wipe it using a damp cloth.
5. Don’t use sharp metals to prick the dirt on the plates as it might prick the nonstick coating itself and will create a hurdle for future use which means no Waffles.
6. To refrain from sticking the walls into the plate, use an adequate amount of oil or butter so that it comes out smooth and crisp.
7. Do not use soap water unless it is recommended in the user guide. Soap water may or may not be harmful to the non-stick plates.
Now you have learned how to clean a waffle maker without facing a lot of pain. I know it can be a bit frustrating to clean a dirty waffle maker when the residues do not seem to come off. But don’t worry, regular cleaning will solve this problem of yours.
So go, get up from your couch, clean the waffle irons quickly and make a waffle for yourself and your family and Enjoy!