If you want to know how to clean a smelly mattress and get rid of stains such as urine and blood, I have gathered several tips and hacks that will transform your mattress and leave it free of bed bugs and other annoying problems.
Good sleep is one of the most important aspects of a healthy lifestyle. If you want to sleep well, then you must sleep on a clean bed with clean sheets and a clean mattress. While most people will regularly wash their sheets and blankets, not very many actually think about cleaning their mattresses.
This is important, since having a clean mattress can greatly improve the quality of your sleep.
And why so?
Dust mites live in a dirty mattress. And they leave fecal matter which can irritate our skin and our lungs. What’s more, a dirty mattress can have bed bugs, stains, bad odor, and more (YUCK!).
Who can have good sleep with these things giving you discomfort?
This post might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I get rewarded a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
7 Tips and Hacks to Keep Your Mattress Squeaky Clean
It is not a difficult thing to have it cleaned regularly. Here are some easy steps for deep cleaning your mattress.
Have a cleaning routine for your mattress. If you want to keep the mattress clean and free of stains and dust mites clean it, at least, once a month by following the tips below.
1. Wash Everything In High Temperatures
Remove everything from the bed, your sheets, pillowcases, blankets, comforters and wash them in your washing machine with hot water. Washing in high temperatures can help kill mites that are living on your sheets.
2. DIY Mattress Cleaning Solution
Get a box of baking soda and some essential oil like lavender, sandalwood, or any scent that would be wonderfully calming. Add some drops of essential oil to the box of baking soda and shake well to mix.
Essential oils have antibacterial properties that will be helpful in giving your mattress a good clean and removing bad odors.
Generously sprinkle the whole box of baking soda all over your mattress. You can use a sieve or you can simply pour it straight from the box. Your mattress can get a deep cleaning if you rub the baking soda mixture into the bed. Make the mixture stay on the bed for at least an hour.
Then slowly vacuum the mattress, this handheld vacuum, from Amazon, has strong suction and is affordable. Make sure that all the baking soda has been removed. If you linger over each part with the vacuum hose, it will ensure that dust and dirt are sucked away.
3. Rotate Mattress
Every month, flip or rotate your mattress. This can help extend its life and prevent sagging.
4. Steam Clean
Steam clean your mattress for a deeper clean. With steam cleaning, your mattress will smell better and old stains can be removed. But make sure that after steam cleaning, your mattress is fully dry before putting your sheets and blanket back on the bed.
How to Clean Urine & Sweet Stains From Mattress
For different reasons, kids and adults can, sometimes, wet their beds at night. And, for most of us, we can leave sweat stains on the mattress too and it leaves a yellowish stain which can discolor our mattress and leave it smelling musty from sweat.
Here are some steps for cleaning a mattress with pee and sweat stains.
1. Mix one cup of hydrogen peroxide, 3 tablespoons of baking soda and a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap together. Make sure the baking soda is dissolved by stirring the mixture.
2. This mixture should then be placed inside a spray bottle so you can spray the stained areas of the mattress until the solution soaks into it.
3. Air-dry the mattress for at least an hour. If you want a faster solution, put on a fan near the mattress or use your blow dryer to dry it.
How to Clean a Mattress with Blood Stains
Mattress gets stains with blood during a woman’s menstrual period. Or, you can suffer from a nosebleed or your dry skin has cracked and bled. Here are some tips to clean a mattress with bloodstains.
- Put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
- Spray the bloodstain thoroughly, then blot with a clean towel. Make sure to repeat the process until the bloodstain is completely removed.
- Air-dry the mattress or use a fan or a blow dryer to speed up the process.
- An alternative would be to use a paste of baking soda applied to the stain and allow to sit for 30 minutes before wiping away with a clean, damp rag.
How to Clean a Mattress with Bed Bugs
One of the most uncomfortable ways to spend the night in bed is to spend it scratching because of the itchy bites of bed bugs. If your mattress is infested with bed bugs or just just can live with the thought of it, here are some tips in eliminating or preventing these bugs.
1. Remove your sheets and pillowcase from the bed. Before transporting the bed linen to the washing machine, make sure that they are placed in garbage bags so that the bugs are not spread to other parts of the house.
2. Vacuum your mattress carefully. Ensure that the hose attachment goes over everything including seams, crevices, and indentation. These are the places where bed bugs love to hide.
Once done, empty the bag outdoors and clean the vacuum container to ensure that there are no bed bugs left in the vacuum cleaner.
3. Get a bed bug proof encasement for your mattress and for the box spring, if you have one. These encasements do a great job protecting mattresses because they are made of special materials that will not allow bed bugs through. No bed bug can escape the encasement.
Keep the cover for at least a year, so that you can be sure that whatever bed bugs and eggs are left in the mattress have died. It is important to note that adult bed bugs can survive for months even without food.
4. Another option is to use a steamer to eliminate bed bugs. Steam is very effective in killing bed bugs in all stages of their development if applied correctly. Steam can kill bed bugs on the surface and can also reach into the fabric.
The surface temperature of the area being treated should be at least 160 to 180 degrees F.
Other cleaning tips you might find useful:
Conclusion: Clean Mattress Equals Better Sleep
It is very important to keep your mattress as clean as possible since you spend almost a third of your life on it. If you clean your mattress regularly, then you are assured of having a good night’s sleep every night.
Any tips or questions on how to clean a smelly mattress?